The Plank Road Toll House was constructed in 1848 as an entrance and exit to the Glens Falls/Moreau/Lake George plank road. Plank roads were one of the first solutions to muddy, rutted, dirt roads in America. To pay for construction, tolls were charged.
It was originally located at the southern end of the Fort Edward Road, which runs between South Glens Falls and Fort Edward. After the toll road was eliminated, the building was used as a train stop and an antiques shop before moving to the museum campus in 1972. The restoration of the building portrays the living quarters of the toll collector.