Fort Edward Historical Association
||The Fort Edward Historical Association is housed at the Old
Fort House Museum on Lower Broadway in Fort Edward, New York.
It is a non-for-profit association that has been chartered by
the New York State Board of Regents since 1927. Its collection
is made up of roughly 200,000 artifacts from Fort Edward and the
surrounding region. Researchers, students, tour-groups, and the
general public have access to the association’s resources and
the museum on a regular basis throughout the year, or by
The building that is now known as the John P. Burke Research Center was acquired by the Fort Edward
Historical Association from the state of
in 1978. Located across the street from the
Fort House Museum at 22 Broadway, the John Burke Research offers
researchers access to the Fort Edward Historical Association’s
historical records and archives.
Regular hours for the Fort Edward Historical Association and the Old
Fort House Museum are Museum Hours are 1:00 to 5:00 daily, June-August,
September-mid October open 1 to 5 weekdays, closed Mondays, closed on
National Holidays. Open year round by appointment for school
and motor coach tours.
Our Gift Shop is also open year round during office hours with a large
selection of books on local history.
1925 marks the
year of the Fort Edward’s Historical Association’s fist meeting. With
Dr. Silas J. Banker as President, there were 71 founding members,
including key-contributors Mr. William H. Hill and Mrs. Sue E. Wade. The
Great Depression marked a relatively quiet time for the Fort Edward
Historical Association. Activity picked up again in the late 1940’s with
the idea to purchase and restore The Old Fort House, which suffered
severe fire damage in 1943, with its primary purpose to serve as a
museum and local history repository. It wasn’t until 1953 when the Fort
Edward Historical Association was given the Old Fort House property. The
Old Fort House Museum officially opened to the public on July 12, 1953.
following marked a time of growth for the Fort Edward Historical
Association, and the Old Fort House Museum as well. William H. Hill and
Sue Wade can be credited with this throughout the 1950’s. Both
bequeathed a large number of their personal items to the museum upon
their deaths—both in the 1950’s. School groups and tourists
began to visit the museum during this time. By 1979, the association’s
membership had reached 400 people.
From the 1970’s
onwards, the Fort Edward Historical Association obtained buildings and
structures that were in danger of demolition. Where possible, funds were
used to relocate them to the museum’s campus. The structures were either
restored to their original intent or rehabbed to showcase the museum’s
expanding collections of local historical materials pertaining to, but
not limited to, the communities of Fort Edward, Hudson Falls, and